Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Great Flood

I had all intentions of writing daily when I created this blog, but with the past week I've had I'm surprised to still have my sanity! I have been MIA for the past week or so and I shall tell you why.....

Me and Margo's friend Lauren came in town this weekend (she graduated in Decemeber) and we were going to have a fun girls weekend before school started....FALSE. Friday morning at 4:30 Lauren got up to use the bathroom, and slipped on the floor. Why, you ask? Oh, that would be due to the pond in our living room. Lauren proceeds to wake Margo up (who didn't believe her) and then she swam across the living room to my room. I jumped out of bed very confused (we went to bed at 3am) and jumped down onto my floor.....bad idea. My floor was a marsh. With every step I took, water gushed up from my carpet like a geyser. And for those who don't know, I hate being barefoot, and am very OCD about what my feet walk on... so that was a nightmare. As I peered out into the hallway and living room and saw the standing water, I had a mini heart attack and then grabbed my phone. After getting a 430am phone call, my parents call the plumbers while Lauren, Margo, Steen and myself got rid of the water: a simple two hour task.

Long story short, several boggled plumber visits, one suspicious toilet and $500 later..... The city of college station had to come out to our house to make the diagnosis: a pipe broke in our neighbor's backyard and the roots from their tree had caused a blockage. Lucky for us, the blockage caused the water to back up into our house. SUPER. So we have been living in a hotel for the past two nights because the fans and de-humidifiers are so obnoxious you can't even think. or hear anyone speak unless they yell. We started off with like 16 and today we are down to about 6. My room is still a WRECK..... the carpet is disgusting and smells of something rotten. I have to climb over furniture to get any clothes and my bathroom is full of furnitre. What a joke! The insurance adjusters are coming today to decide what to do with our floor. The living room and kitchen has to be replaced, considering its concrete right now. Oh, and on Friday night, my phone fell on a rug and OBVIOUSLY got water damage and does not work. So I am using a "flip" phone because I haven't even had time to think about going to the Verizon store.....

All this during the first week of my last semester ever! I am just blessed to have such fun roommates to endure this with and parents who live close. And sweet Taylor even sent me flowers to the hotel last night to "brighten my day(s)." He came down for one night last Sunday because I was nearly suicidal dealing with all of this amongst 2453467 other things, and what a help that was. I needed that boy to slap me back in shape! He'll be here this weekend, and by the looks of the rooms in our house, we'll be pitching a tent in the backyard.

2 comments:

  1. ah! rachel!! i am so sorry you are having to go through that! how terrible! my apartment flooded during hurrican ike and let me tell you, i rememebr vividly the SMELL of soaked carpet. uhhh!

    i hope everything gets fixed pronto!!! ill br praying for your home!!

    btw - your house looks SOOO cute. i love it! i hope it gets fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a really long, funny, witty, sweet comment finsihed. Then this ice storm took out my internet...NOT cool!! I guess the gist of it was, good luck, I'm so sorry I hate this for you, I love Taylor because he sent you flowers, did you order room service? and I HAVE to know how camping goes...you don't strike me as the outdoors, sleeping on the ground in the cold, in your backyard type. Or maybe that's just because I'm not that type? Nevertheless...I'm sorry you'll never get to read my original comment...as they say, "the original is always the best." Love you rock baby love.

    ReplyDelete